Here, we provided to Stereo Chemistry Hand Written Note For BSC. Stereochemistry is the study of how molecules are affected by the way their atoms are arranged in space. It is also known as 3D chemistry as the word stereo means three dimensional. Using stereochemistry, chemists can work out the relationships between different molecules that are made up of the same atoms. They can also study the effect on the physical or biological properties these relationships give molecules. When these relationships influence the reactivity of the molecules it is called dynamic stereochemistry. Free download PDF Stereo Chemistry Hand Written Note For BSC.
Stereoisomers have the same atoms, they are joined the same way, but the atoms are arranged differently in space. An important part of stereochemistry is the study of chiral molecules. These molecules look almost identical, except that one molecule is the mirror image of the other. Free download PDF Stereo Chemistry Hand Written Note For BSC.
In most chemical bonds, the atoms of a molecule free to move around without breaking the bonds. When a molecule has a double bond or a ring structure, the molecule can be sorted into different isomers. These are molecules with the same chemical structure but different forms. The study of stereochemical problems covers the entire range of organic, inorganic, biological, physical, and supramolecular chemistries. Free download PDF Stereo Chemistry Hand Written Note For BSC.
Stereochemistry, a subdiscipline of chemistry, involves the study of the relative spatial arrangement of atoms that form the structure of molecules and their manipulation. The study of stereochemistry focuses on stereoisomers, which by definition have the same molecular formula and sequence of bonded atoms (constitution), but differ in the three-dimensional orientations of their atoms in space. For this reason, it is also known as 3D chemistry—the prefix “stereo-” means “three-dimensionality”. Free download PDF Stereo Chemistry Hand Written Note For BSC.
BOOK NAME – STEREO CHEMISTRY HAND WRITTEN NOTE FOR BSC
SIZE – 2.73MB
PAGES – 15
What is Stereochemistry?
Stereochemistry is the branch of chemistry that involves “the study of the different spatial arrangements of atoms in molecules”.
Stereochemistry is the systematic presentation of a specific field of science and technology that traditionally requires a short preliminary excursion into history. Stereochemistry is the ‘chemistry of space ‘, that is stereochemistry deals with the spatial arrangements of atoms and groups in a molecule. Free download PDF Stereo Chemistry Hand Written Note For BSC.
Stereochemistry can trace its roots to the year 1842 when the French chemist Louis Pasteur made an observation that the salts of tartaric acid collected from a wine production vessel have the ability to rotate plane-polarized light, whereas the same salts from different sources did not have this ability. This phenomenon is explained by optical isomerism. Free download PDF Stereo Chemistry Hand Written Note For BSC.
Importance of Stereochemistry – Thalidomide Disaster
- The arrangement of the atoms in three-dimensional space plays a crucial part in the properties of the molecule.
- An example of the significance of stereochemistry can be observed in the thalidomide disaster that struck Germany in the year 1957.
- The drug thalidomide was sold as an over-the-counter drug, initially intended to combat nausea. It was used by pregnant women to alleviate morning sickness.
- However, it was discovered that the drug underwent racemization and formed a mixture of enantiomers in the human body due to the process of metabolism.
- One of these enantiomers is believed to cause genetic damage in developing embryos and lead to birth defects in babies.
- This is based on the data that over 5000 babies were born with deformed limbs shortly after thalidomide was commercially sold as an over-the-counter drug.
- This unforeseen effect of the drug led to the imposition of stricter drug regulation laws (only 40% of the babies born with these deformities survived).
- The disaster signifies the importance of stereochemistry.
An important branch of stereochemistry is the study of chiral molecules. Stereochemistry spans the entire spectrum of organic, inorganic, biological, physical, and especially supramolecular chemistry. Stereochemistry includes methods for determining and describing these relationships; the effect on the physical or biological properties these relationships impart upon the molecules in question and the manner in which these relationships influence the reactivity of the molecules in question (dynamic stereochemistry). Free download PDF Stereo Chemistry Hand Written Note For BSC.
DISCLAIMER: HUNT4EDU.COM does no longer owns this book neither created nor scanned. We simply offer the hyperlink already to be had on the internet. If any manner it violates the law or has any troubles then kindly mail us or Contact Us for this(hyperlink removal).
We don’t aid piracy this duplicate grows to be supplied for university youngsters who’re financially bad but deserve greater to examine. Thank you.